To understand and manage emotions greatly increases our chances of success. Emotional intelligence begins with what is called self- and social awareness, the ability to recognize emotions in both, you and others.
Emotional intelligence is the “something” in each of us. It affects how we manage behavior, navigate social complexities, and make personal decisions that achieve positive results. The concept of emotional intelligence has been heralded by many as the secret, a key factor to success.
How you can use emotional intelligence smartly?
- The pause is as simple as taking a moment to stop and think before you speak or act. Pausing helps you refrain from making a permanent decision based on a temporary emotion.
- By striving to control your thoughts, you resist becoming a slave to your emotions, allowing yourself to live in a way that’s in harmony with your goals and values.
- Instead of judging or labeling others, you work hard to see things through their eyes. It’s about striving to understand–which allows you to build deeper, more connected relationships.
- All humans crave acknowledgement and appreciation. When you commend others, you satisfy that craving and build trust in the process. Negative feedback has great potential to hurt the feelings of others. Realizing this, you reframe criticism as constructive feedback, so the recipient sees it as helpful instead of harmful.
- Emotional intelligence helps you realize that apologizing doesn’t always mean you’re wrong. It does mean valuing your relationship more than your ego.
- When you forgive and forget, you prevent others from holding your emotions hostage, allowing you to move forward.
Emotional intelligence is the ability to make emotions work for you, instead of against you. So practice it!!!!