The 52nd Meeting of the Council of IITs was held under the chairmanship of Union Minister of Human Resource Development Shri Prakash Javadekar in New Delhi. While briefing the media regarding the decisions taken by the Council, the Minister highlighted that the IIT – PAL designed to help the students in preparing for the JEE Advanced Exam would be further extended, and would be made available along with handholding support through the SWAYAM portal.
Some major decisions taken by the council are as follows:
- IIT will mentor at least 5 engineering colleges located in its vicinity in order to improve the quality and standard of engineering education in the country.
- There will be no revision in tuition fee being charged from the undergraduate students in IITs.
- Council did not consider any further changes in the JEE (Advanced) system.
- IITs will organize an annual Tech-Fest demonstrating various innovations and technologies developed by them, at any suitable venue with participation from CEOs from leading public/private sector organizations.
- The Boards of Governors of the individual IITs have been empowered to decide the fee for international students.
- The issue of vacant seats in the M.Tech. programmes in IITs due to student joining Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) after being admitted will be addressed in a meeting with the CMDs of major PSUs to be held under the chairmanship of the Minister of Human Resource Development.
- A Committee comprising of Directors of IIT Delhi, IIT Hyderabad and IIT Tirupati has been constituted to recommend standards and norms for construction of campuses and infrastructure projects in IITs.
- The service matters of non-faculty staff in IITs will be decided by the respective Board of Governors of IITs subject to their conformity with the instructions issued by the Government of India from time to time.